Friday, February 11, 2011

Gimp Assignment #4: PANORAMIC


In our fourth Gimp editing assignment, we worked with panoramic pictures.  I took a picture of the view from my driveway...or rather I took three.  With the use of a "tripod"...my mail box, I took three pictures, each with 10-20% overlap.  The overlap allowed me to merge the pictures together and form an over all panoramic photograph.  I learned to use some new tools in Gimp, including opacity and the eraser tool.  I continued to use the layers tool, and also discovered a trick that allowed me to more easily create my final picture (paste as new layer.)  The opacity tool allowed me to see through one layer and line it up with the next when we were merging our three individual pictures into our final panoramic.  The eraser tool allowed us to get rid of the lines and distortion that occurred when overlapping our pictures.  It was definitely a lot trickier than I would have guessed!  The detail of the trees made it especially hard to line up my pictures, which is probably why we were warned to use a picture with a simple background(:  In the end I ended up doing an overall levels adjustment to lower the amount of lightness in the picture.  I'm super happy with my final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment