Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Composition Assignment

Assignment Description:


For this first assignment, we learned about eleven elements of photographic composition: Rule of Thirds, Depth of Field, Texture, Pattern, Color, Space, Balance, Lines, Framing, Perspective, and Symmetry.  We further investigated these fundamentals  of photography by capturing an image that portrays each.  The new basics helped us develop true photographs rather than simple snapshots.


Photo Descriptions:


  • Texture = school bench outside
  • Pattern = vending machine with Propel bottles
  • Lines = kitchen sink
  • Space = do not enter sign
  • Depth of Field = bananas on kitchen counter
  • Perspective = underside of light in the Hive
  • Color = flowers' stems/ leaves
  • Balance = sunrise outside of school and dark trees
  • Symmetry = gate/ fence gonig around track in the gym
  • Rule of Thirds = orange gum ball
  • Framing = bagels framed by their basket
Photo Slide Show:






What we learned:


In just our first few weeks in this class, I feel like I have learned more about taking a quality picture than I have in my entire life.  This composition assignment opened my eyes in a new way to things I see everyday.  Ordinary objects and settings have become possibilities for great photographs.  The main component I found fascinating was the Rule of Thirds; I see it all the time now on comercials, ads, etc.  I'm eager to improve my skills even more and be able to capture breath-taking photographs.

1 comment: